Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: mascot obsessed people

  1. #1
    Inactive Member collegetrumpet2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Posts
    852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    mascot obsessed people


  2. #2
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: mascot obsessed people

    When it comes down to it--and this will make several folks mad--I don't care where you went to school in Wise County...if the biggest and most prominent thing that you identify your personality and being as is one of the Wise County schools' mascots...then you're living a sad and small existence.

    I graduated from Coeburn in 1999, and will always be a Blue Knight--but that does not define who I am. It's only a small part. If more people defined themselves as what they actually are instead of where they went to school, maybe we'd have more successful folks in this area, with more ambition to do big things to boot.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member collegetrumpet2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Posts
    852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: mascot obsessed people

    I guess you can say I'm always a Viking at heart. It doesn't define me. When you go off to college, nobody is going to care. Not the other students and certainly not the professors. Your employer will not care.

    It's good that this man in the article has always been a dog supporter. That still doesn't change what needs to happen.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: mascot obsessed people

    I saw that yesterday and thought to myself..."Man, you really do live in a bubble, don't ya dude?" When I was in high school, I was a "Bulldog"..notice the spelling as compared to what that call it now.."Bulldawg". Yeah, I still keep my memorabilia(high school sweater, etc) but it stays in the closet in moth balls. It is a part of my past, not my future. I try now to concern myself with more important things, such as providing a good, safe, dry, warm/cool home for my children/grandchildren. About the only thing I do pride myself in is the fact that I feel I did raise my children to think for themselves and their future. The only reason I care anything at all about the school situation now is that I do have grandchildren coming up in the school system and want to support them, now that my kids are all grown and on their own. Yeah, I enjoy a good high school game as much as anyone else, but it is afterall, entertainment, not a way of life, nor is it a lifestyle. Take a look at most of the people who are raising such a "stink" over this and you will see, that they are mostly made up of older people who are afraid of change. If there is one thing in life that I learned and(hopefully taught my kids) is to be adaptable to change and to be able to effect that change for a positive outcome.

    Yeah, I do get on here and act an ass most of the time, but that is mostly directed in order to get some good, honest reactions out of people. I won't say that I haven't been threatened over this type of "stance" because I have and I have made some really bad decisions on here regarding my actions and words, but that is all they are..."WORDS".

    I do understand the young girl's dilema, but as far as the older gentleman, I have no sympathy.

    If both, the BOS and SB would learn that it is not about politics, but it is ABOUT OUR CHILDREN and their future, then the decision would have been made years ago and we would not be having this problem now. I know what I am about to say is not a popular thing, but I do think that it is time that the county goes to a "metro" type of government and do away with all the towns and little communities. Make us all one community including Norton. We would all benefit from that move. I am beginning to think that is the only way this county is going to survive in the future.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member JJK guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2001
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: mascot obsessed people

    This article is just embarassing. Good to know where these people's priorities lie.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member VHSLhelper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2005
    Posts
    861
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: mascot obsessed people

    Just saw a WCYB story that said each school will have a new name, new colors and a new mascot, so it won't just be some of 'em, but all of 'em.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member simple man's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: mascot obsessed people

    Quote Originally Posted by VHSLhelper View Post
    Just saw a WCYB story that said each school will have a new name, new colors and a new mascot, so it won't just be some of 'em, but all of 'em.
    If this is what is holding things up, ....change and move on. Mascots are great for kids, but the rest of us? On a side note the DC schools are talking about the "miners" and the "wolfpack" for thier next go around.
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: mascot obsessed people

    Quote Originally Posted by simple man View Post
    If this is what is holding things up, ....change and move on. Mascots are great for kids, but the rest of us? On a side note the DC schools are talking about the "miners" and the "wolfpack" for thier next go around.
    My Daughter and her softball/Basketball team seem to really want Wolfpack as does a good chunk of Haysi including James Colly (I have to say the symbalisam of the 3 schools (lone wolfs) coming together (into a pack) is pretty strong).....Miners seem to be a strong 2nd Last I heard the leading colors were Burgundy/Silver or Black/Silver/Gold or Navy Blue/Silver....For me so long as we steer clear of Purple or something I will be good

  9. #9
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: mascot obsessed people

    I love the Burgandy and Silver look
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: mascot obsessed people

    Quote Originally Posted by UTVols2 View Post
    I love the Burgandy and Silver look
    I like the fact that DC is taking so much public input but in a way I would love for them to make a dission so that we do not end up duplacating what one of the Wise County Schools desides on

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •